Prepare. Prevent. Protect.
Tips for Poison Proofing Your Home:
Store Household Products Safely:
- Put household cleaning substances up and away, out of reach and sight.
- Keep all products in their original containers.
- When buying potentially hazardous items, look for child-resistant containers for an extra layer of protection.
- Utilize child safety locks for cabinets, drawers, and doors to help prevent easy access of items that could be dangerous.
Check Your Purse for Potential Hazards:
- Be aware of any medications, makeup, or nail products that may be in your handbag.
- Store handbags out of the reach of young children.
- Never use a household measuring device for measuring medication.
- Use a calibrated dosage cup or an oral syringe.
What to Do in a Poison Emergency:
- Save the Poison Help number in your phone and post it visibly at home: 1-800-222-1222.
- The Poison Help line is not just for emergencies. Call with questions about how to take or give medicine, concerns about plants, chemicals, carbon monoxide, bites, stings and more.
- All calls are free and expert help is available 24/7/365.